Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Healthy eating for busy people.


I decided to start my own blog so that I can regularly share recipes and hints for delicious, healthy meals. Today I am working on a menu for a client for next week. One of the recipes I will be preparing is Israeli couscous salad with dried cranberries and pecans. It is much like the kind you can buy in the prepared foods section at Whole Foods. But making it at home is a whole lot cheaper and so easy.




Israeli Couscous Salad

2 cups Israeli couscous -- uncooked
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup toasted pecans -- rough chopped
1/2 cup scallion or red onion -- minced
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons champagne vinegar
1 orange -- zested
1/2 orange -- juiced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and add the couscous. When it's done (roughly 8-10 mins, or when it is al dente), drain it but do not rinse. Set aside and let cool while you mince the scallions, toast and chop the pecans and make the dressing.

In a small bowl, whisk together the canola oil, vinegar, orange zest and juice, spices and salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, combine the couscous, cranberries, pecans and scallions. Pour well-whisked dressing over it and toss to combine.

Chill for a few hours to blend the flavors.

1 comment:

  1. I am really excited about trying this recipe. I love Israeli couscous and think that my clients will too. What a great summer salad!

    ReplyDelete